Published in the December 27 – January 9, 2018 issue of Gilroy Life
Women’s Support Group
- An eight-week personal study with other caring women healing from post-abortion. These are individual or group sessions. Details: (408) 847-8880.
Free guitar lessons
- Gorden Gibson teaches free guitar lessons at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St., from noon to 1 p.m. Details: (408) 846-0414.
Line dancing lessons
- Line dancing from 7 to 9 p.m. at the San Martin Lions Club, 12415 Murphy Ave.
- Group meets at 6:30 p.m. at South Valley Community Church, 8095 Kelton Dr., Gilroy. Details: (408) 848-2363.
Food addicts meetings
- Having trouble controlling the way you eat? Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous (FA) is a free 12-step recovery program for anyone suffering from food obsession, overeating, under-eating or bulimia. Meetings are held at 7 p.m. at Advent Lutheran Church, 16870 Murphy Ave. There are meetings every day in California – for more information or a list of additional meetings throughout the U.S. and the world, call 800-600-6028 or visit www.foodaddicts.org.
Parkinson’s support group
- Meet at the Village Green Senior Living Center, 7600 Isabella Way, from noon to 1:30 p.m. Details: Judy at (408) 607-8254.
Parenting Support Group
- Starting Sept. 25 at 10 a.m. at Informed Choices. Join with other moms to learn, share and journey through parenting. Nutrition, postpartum and breastfeeding are discussed as well as a variety of topics. Details: (408) 847-8880.
Mon., Wed., Fri. & Sat.
Join the Gilroy Gators Masters
- Workout from 5 to 6 a.m. and most Saturdays from 7 to 8:30 a.m. at Gilroy High School. Masters swimming is for adult swimmers looking to get in or stay in shape, or for triathletes looking for more swim time and/or instruction. Details: www.gilroygators.org or email email@example.com.
- Games at 1:20 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Thursdays at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St. Details: (408) 921-8512 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ladies Golf Club
- The Gilroy Ladies Golf Club is looking for new members. Details: (408) 779-0886 or (408) 776-7509.
Line dancing helps Martha’s Kitchen
- Learn to line dance with lessons at 7:30 p.m. at The Hill in Morgan Hill and the $5 fee will be donated to Martha’s Kitchen to feed South County families. The program runs through December.
- A local dementia support group meets from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Village Green of Gilroy, 7600 Isabella Way. For more information, call (408) 441-0223.
SV Woodworkers meet
- If you are a woodworker or enjoy working with wood you might enjoy joining the South Valley Woodworkers, serving South San Jose, Morgan Hill, Gilroy and Hollister. Group meets at 7 p.m. in Morgan Hill. Details: www.thvalleywoodworkers.org.
Second, fourth Wed.
Indivisible South Valley
- Indivisible South Valley is a grassroots effort, aligned with the national Indivisible Movement, working to protect democracy and core values, with a focus on local communities. Meetings are from 7 to 8:30 p.m., at the Centennial Recreation Center, 171 W Edmundson Ave.
- Learn leadership and life skills at the Pacheco Pass 4-H meetings from 7 to 8 p.m. Details: email email@example.com or call (408) 824-8201.
Friday Night Bingo
- Doors open at 4 p.m. with early bird games starting at 6 p.m. at the VFW, 74 W. Sixth St.
- Group meets at 6 p.m. for food, 7 p.m. for large groups and 8 p.m. for small groups, at New Hope Community Church, 8886 Muraoka St. Details: (408) 398-5107.
Late evening gym
- Come to a safe space to play games, and have fun from 6 to 9 p.m. at the El Portal gym. Food is served. This program is for ages 13 to 19 though younger children are allowed if accompanied by a parent or sibling older than 18. Must get a permission slip if you are attending for the first time. Details: (408) 846-0460 or (408) 846-0313.
- The San Martin Horsemen’s Association meets at 7 p.m. at the San Martin Lion’s Club, 12415 Murphy Ave. Details: www.smhorse.org.
- The Flea Market takes place from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the San Martin Presbyterian Church, 13200 Lincoln Ave. Space available for $15.
- Join the poetry fun with the longest running group in South County area from 3:30 to 5 p.m., at the Gilroy Public Library, 350 W. 6th St. All levels are welcome.
First, third Sundays
Grief Support Group
- This group provides a safe and respectful place to share grief. It meets at 2 p.m. at the United Methodist Church, 17175 Monterey St. Details: (408) 607-5779 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Winter fruit tree selection and care
- Learn what to do now to keep your fruit trees healthy at this class presented by UCCE Master Gardener Joan Cloutier from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the Gilroy Library, 350 W. Sixth St. Common diseases and insect pests as well as control measures, tips on selecting new and basic principles of pruning will all be discussed. Enjoy growing your own fruit trees.
Jan. 11 & 12
Movie details digital impact on teens
- South County Cal-SOAP is presenting Screenagers! (a one-hour movie about teenagers and how the digital era impacts their lives from 6:30 to 7:45 p.m. in the Gilroy High School Theater, 750 W. Tenth St. This event is open to all families in the community. And the best part is, a $5 donation will go straight toward college scholarships. Details and tickets: (669) 205-5474 or at the door.
- The Friends of the Gilroy Library By-the-Bag Book Sale takes place from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Gilroy Library, 350 W. Sixth St.
Audition for ‘Shrek’
- Theater Fun and Carol Romo are holding auditions for the May 2018 production of “Shrek.” Auditions will be held at 11 a.m. for ages 6 to 11 and 1 p.m. for ages 12 to 18, at the Morgan Hill Playhouse, 17000 Monterey Road. The registration fee is $125. Details: (408) 839-3696 or email@example.com, or visit www.theaterfun.com.
Oakwood Open House
- Learn more about Morgan Hill’s independent, non-sectarian, college-preparatory school for students in preschool-12th grade. Open House is a fun, family event. Oakwood is located at 105 John Wilson Way, Morgan Hill. Details: www.oakwoodway.org.
Building a raised vegetable bed
- Learn various ways of creating a raised bed for vegetables from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the Morgan Hill Library. 660 W. Main Ave. Find out what might work for your space. UCCE Master Gardener Glenn Lattig will also discuss soil for this use and why compost is important.
Through Jan. 31
Gilroy Foundation grant cycle open
- The Gilroy Foundation’s 2018 Grant Cycle is now open and closes Jan. 31, 2018. All nonprofits with a 501(c)(3) status, GUSD schools, and Gilroy city programs are eligible to apply for a Gilroy Foundation grant that will serve the Gilroy community. To apply, download a current grant application, available at www.gilroyfoundation.org. Grant application, supporting documentation and copies must be submitted to the Foundation by posted mail. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the grant application process.
Send calendar items to email@example.com.
Latest posts by Marty Cheek (see all)
- Nonprofit profile – ‘Champions’ honored by CARAS for social justice work - April 13, 2018
- Music in the Air … with Mark ‘Fenny’ Fenichel – The road to self confidence sometimes happens in weird ways - April 13, 2018
- Entertainment – Children can explore their artistic talents at April 28 Art a la Carte fun event - April 13, 2018