Published in the April 4 – 17, 2018 issue of Gilroy Life
Women’s Support Group
- An eight-week personal study with other caring women healing from post-abortion. These are individual or group sessions. Details: (408) 847-8880.
AARP Safe Driving Course
- A refresher course for motorists 50 and older is taking place. Must call and register to get date and location. Participants will familiarize themselves with driver safety and new laws. No tests. Course, class materials and instructor provided by AARP. There is a minimal DMV certificate fee. Details and to register, call (408) 779-7117 between 1 and 7 p.m. only.
Free Guitar Lessons
- Gorden Gibson teaches free guitar lessons at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St., from noon to 1 p.m. Details: (408) 846-0414.
Line Dancing Lessons
- Line dancing from 7 to 9 p.m. at the San Martin Lions Club, 12415 Murphy Ave.
- Group meets at 6:30 p.m. at South Valley Community Church, 8095 Kelton Dr., Gilroy. Details: (408) 848-2363.
Food Addict Meetings
- Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous is a free 12-step recovery program for anyone suffering from food obsession, overeating, under-eating or bulimia. Meetings are held at 7 p.m. at Advent Lutheran Church, 16870 Murphy Ave. Details or a list of additional meetings throughout the U.S. and the world, call 800-600-6028 or visit www.foodaddicts.org.
Parkinson’s Support Group
- Meet at the Village Green Senior Living Center, 7600 Isabella Way, from noon to 1:30 p.m. Details: Judy at (408) 607-8254.
Parenting Support Group
- Join with other moms to learn, share and journey through parenting at 10 a.m. Nutrition, postpartum and breastfeeding are discussed as well as a variety of topics. Details: (408) 847-8880.
Mon., Wed., Fri. & Sat.
Join the Gilroy Gators Masters
- Workout from 5 to 6 a.m. and most Saturdays from 7 to 8:30 a.m. at Gilroy High School. Masters swimming is for adult swimmers looking to get in or stay in shape, or for triathletes looking for more swim time and/or instruction. Details: www.gilroygators.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday & Thursday
- Games at 1:20 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Thursdays at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St. Details: (408) 921-8512 or email email@example.com.
Ladies Golf Club
- The Gilroy Ladies Golf Club is looking for new members. Details: (408) 779-0886 or (408) 776-7509.
Free Ukulele Jam Session
- Have some fun strumming and singing with an enthusiastic group of ukulele players at the Gilroy Ukulele Jam, 6 to 8 p.m., on the 2nd floor of the Old City Hall Restaurant, 7400 Monterey Road. All playing levels are welcome, and free beginner lessons are given from 5:15 to 5:45 p.m.
SV Woodworkers Meet
- If you are a woodworker or enjoy working with wood you might enjoy joining the South Valley Woodworkers, serving South San Jose, Morgan Hill, Gilroy and Hollister. Group meets at 7 p.m. in Morgan Hill. Details: www.thvalleywoodworkers.org.
Second, fourth Wednesday
Indivisible South Valley
- Indivisible South Valley is a grassroots effort, aligned with the national Indivisible Movement, working to protect democracy and core values, with a focus on local communities. Meetings are from 7 to 8:30 p.m., at the Centennial Recreation Center, 171 W Edmundson Ave.
- Learn leadership and life skills at the Pacheco Pass 4-H meetings from 7 to 8 p.m. Details: email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (408) 824-8201.
Friday Night Bingo
- Doors open at 4 p.m. with early bird games starting at 6 p.m. at the VFW, 74 W. Sixth St.
- Group meets at 6 p.m. for food, 7 p.m. for large groups and 8 p.m. for small groups, at New Hope Community Church, 8886 Muraoka St. Details: (408) 398-5107.
- The San Martin Horsemen’s Association meets at 7 p.m. at the San Martin Lion’s Club, 12415 Murphy Ave. Details: www.smhorse.org.
- Join the poetry fun with the longest running group in South County area from 3:30 to 5 p.m., at the Gilroy Public Library, 350 W. 6th St. All levels are welcome.
First, third Sundays
Grief Support Group
- This group meets at 2 p.m. at the United Methodist Church, 17175 Monterey St., and provides a safe place to share grief. Details: (408) 607-5779 or email email@example.com.
Flamenco Guitarist to Play Gavilan College
- Straight from his sold-out New York City performance, one of Spain’s leading flamenco guitarists José Antonio Rodríguez will make a special appearance at 7 p.m. at Gavilan College, 5055 Santa Teresa Blvd. Tickets available at the Gavilan College Bookstore, BookSmart in Morgan Hill, Porcella’s Music in Gilroy, at www.brownpapertickets.com/event/3382556, and at the door. The cost is $15 for general admission and $10 for students and seniors: Details: (408) 848-4794.
It’s Spring Fling Time
- Leadership Gilroy’s 4th Annual Spring Fling Event takes place from 5:30 to 9 p.m. at Sarah’s Vineyard. The evening includes a selection of wines, gourmet dinner from Kneaded Bakery, and live music from Miko’s Montaj. There will also be amazing auction and raffle prizes available. Open to everyone in the community. All proceeds benefit Leadership Gilroy’s annual community leadership training program and provide scholarships to participants. Tickets available at www.leadershipgilroy.org.
Easy Beginning Bridge Lessons
- Learn the popular 2/1 method during six Thursdays through May 24 from 2:30 to 4:15 p.m., at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7871 Hanna St. The first lesson is free then $7 per lesson. Includes lecture, practice hands, handouts. Register with Patty Stone, ACBL Accredited Bridge Instructor. Call (408) 981-1043 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The 5th Annual Legislative Summit takes place from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Hilton Garden Inn, Gilroy.
The Summit is a regional event and gives residents the opportunity to hear from their elected officials about the issues that affect us most. Speaking are Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren, Congressman Jimmy Panetta, Gilroy Mayor Roland Velasco, Morgan Hill Mayor Steve Tate, California State Senator Bill Monning, California State Assemblymember Anna Caballero, County Supervisor Mike Wasserman, and Santa Clara Valley Water District Board Member John Varela. The cost is $45 and includes lunch. Register at www.gilroy.org/events/?action=evrplusegister&event_id=10
Golf for Scholarships
- The Gilroy Presbyterian Church Golf Tournament begins at noon at Gilroy Golf Course, 2695 Hecker Pass Road and raises money for the church’s Youth and Children’s Scholarship Fund. Proceeds go toward sending children to camp. Details and to register: gilroypres.org.
Send calendar items to email@example.com.
Latest posts by Calendar Editor (see all)
- Calendar: Published in the January 9 – 22, 2019 issue of Gilroy Life - January 5, 2019
- Gilroy Historical Society Monthly Walking Tours Schedule - December 23, 2018
- Community Calendar: Published in the December 26 – January 8, 2018 issue of Gilroy Life - December 21, 2018