Published in the May 2 – 15, 2018 Issue of Gilroy Life
Women’s Support Group
- An eight-week personal study with other caring women healing from post-abortion. These are individual or group sessions. Details: (408) 847-8880.
AARP Safe Driving Course
- A refresher course for motorists 50 and older is taking place. Must call and register to get date and location. Participants will familiarize themselves with driver safety and new laws. No tests. Course, class materials and instructor provided by AARP. There is a minimal DMV certificate fee. Details and to register, call (408) 779-7117 between 1 and 7 p.m. only.
Free Guitar Lessons
- Gorden Gibson teaches free guitar lessons at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St., from noon to 1 p.m. Details: (408) 846-0414.
Line Dancing Lessons
- Line dancing from 7 to 9 p.m. at the San Martin Lions Club, 12415 Murphy Ave.
- Group meets at 6:30 p.m. at South Valley Community Church, 8095 Kelton Dr., Gilroy. Details: (408) 848-2363.
Food Addict Meetings
- Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous is a free 12-step recovery program for anyone suffering from food obsession, overeating, under-eating or bulimia. Meetings are held at 7 p.m. at Advent Lutheran Church, 16870 Murphy Ave. Details or a list of additional meetings throughout the U.S. and the world, call 800-600-6028 or visit www.foodaddicts.org.
Parkinson’s Support Group
- Meet at the Village Green Senior Living Center, 7600 Isabella Way, from noon to 1:30 p.m. Details: Judy at (408) 607-8254.
Mon., Wed., Fri. & Sat.
Join the Gilroy Gators Masters
- Workout from 5 to 6 a.m. and most Saturdays from 7 to 8:30 a.m. at Gilroy High School. Masters swimming is for adult swimmers looking to get in or stay in shape, or for triathletes looking for more swim time and/or instruction. Details: www.gilroygators.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday & Thursday
- Games at 1:20 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Thursdays at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St. Details: (408) 921-8512 or email email@example.com.
Ladies Golf Club
- The Gilroy Ladies Golf Club is looking for new members. Details: (408) 779-0886 or (408) 776-7509.
Free Ukulele Jam Session
- Have some fun strumming and singing with an enthusiastic group of ukulele players at the Gilroy Ukulele Jam, 6 to 8 p.m., on the 2nd floor of the Old City Hall Restaurant, 7400 Monterey Road. All playing levels welcome; free beginner lessons from 5:15 to 5:45 p.m.
SV Woodworkers Meet
- If you are a woodworker or enjoy working with wood you might enjoy joining the South Valley Woodworkers, serving South San Jose, Morgan Hill, Gilroy and Hollister. Group meets at 7 p.m. in Morgan Hill. Details: www.thvalleywoodworkers.org.
Second, fourth Wednesday
Indivisible South Valley
- Indivisible South Valley is a grassroots effort, aligned with the national Indivisible Movement, working to protect democracy and core values, with a focus on local communities. Meetings are from 7 to 8:30 p.m., at the Centennial Recreation Center, 171 W Edmundson Ave.
- Learn leadership and life skills at the Pacheco Pass 4-H meetings from 7 to 8 p.m. Details: email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (408) 824-8201.
Friday Night Bingo
- Doors open at 4 p.m. with early bird games starting at 6 p.m. at the VFW, 74 W. Sixth St.
- The San Martin Horsemen’s Association meets at 7 p.m. at the San Martin Lion’s Club, 12415 Murphy Ave. Details: www.smhorse.org.
Ukulele Sunrise Jam
- Meet at 8:30 a.m. for an hour of early morning jamming at Café 152 Bread Company, 60 4th St. It’s a great deli-café at the corner of 4th and Eigleberry. They play songs from their past three songbooks, available at GilroyUkuleleJam.com.
- Join the poetry fun with the longest running group in South County area from 3:30 to 5 p.m., at the Gilroy Public Library, 350 W. 6th St. All levels are welcome.
First, third Sundays
Grief Support Group
- Meets at 2 p.m. at the United Methodist Church, 17175 Monterey St., and provides a safe place to share grief. Details: (408) 607-5779 or email email@example.com.
Now through May 19
Rosemary Clooney Story on Stage
- Limelight Actors Theater presents “Tenderly,” the Rosemary Clooney Musical. It opened April 27 and runs through May 19. With her signature songs woven in and out, learn both the story of her successes on film, radio, and TV, as well as her struggles in her personal life. Details and tickets: www.limelightactorstheater.com/home.html.
2nd Annual Wags ‘N Wine
- Join South County Tail Waggers for their 2nd Annual Wags ‘N Wine event from 1 to 4 p.m. at Fortino Winery, 4525 Hecker Pass Highway. This year, they added Rescues on the Runway where their Tail Waggers will be escorted down a professional runway by local heroes. The money helps to continue to run South County Tail Waggers in order to save as many lives as possible. Receive a complimentary wine glass and enjoy live music, complimentary heavy appetizers, $5 glasses of wine, and a runway show that you have never seen before. Details: visit www.sctailwaggers.org/wagsnwine.
Creating a Children’s Garden
- Explore planning a summer garden with your children from 7 to 8:30 p.m., at the Gilroy Library, 350 W. 6th St. Learn ways to make your garden attractive to children and easy to manage. Presented by UCCE Master Gardener Robin Bastianelli.
Journalist to Speak at AAUW Luncheon
- Julie Reynolds Martinez, investigative journalist and a staff writer at the Monterey County Herald for 10 years, will speak at the Gilroy Branch of the American Association of University Women at 11 a.m. at Café Thyme. Lunch begins at 11:30 a.m. The cost is $30. Make reservations and menu choice by May 11. Call or email Janet Espersen at (408) 702-8706 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Thelma Raby at 408-427-7439 or email@example.com.
Fundraiser Benefits Schools, Veterans
- The American Legion Post 217 Annual Fundraiser starts at 8:30 a.m., at Gilroy Golf Course, 2695 Hecker Pass Road. Funds benefit Gilroy’s middle schools, high schools, Gavilan College, veterans and their families. Details: Pete Diaz (408) 710-2522 or Bobby at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Send calendar items to email@example.com.