Published in the August 8 – 21, 2018 issue of Gilroy Life
Women’s Support Group
- An eight-week personal study with other caring women healing from post-abortion. These are individual or group sessions. Details: (408) 847-8880.
AARP Safe Driving Course
- A course for motorists 50 and older is taking place. Must call and register to get date and location. Participants will familiarize themselves with driver safety and new laws. No tests. Course, class materials and instructor provided. There is a minimal DMV certificate fee. Details and to register: (408) 779-7117 between 1 and 7 p.m.
Free Guitar Lessons
- Gorden Gibson teaches free guitar lessons at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St., from noon to 1 p.m. Details: (408) 846-0414.
Line Dancing Lessons
- Line dancing from 7 to 9 p.m. at the San Martin Lions Club, 12415 Murphy Ave.
- Group meets at 6:30 p.m. at South Valley Community Church, 8095 Kelton Dr., Gilroy. Details: (408) 848-2363.
Food Addict Meetings
- Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous is a free 12-step program for those suffering from food obsession, overeating, under-eating or bulimia. Meetings are held at 7 p.m. at Advent Lutheran Church, 16870 Murphy Ave. Details or a list of additional meetings, call 800-600-6028 or visit www.foodaddicts.org.
Parkinson’s Support Group
- Meet at the Merrill Gardens Activity Room, 7600 Isabella Way, from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Details: Judy at (408) 607-8254.
Car Lovers Meet
- The Valle del Sur region of the Antique Automobile Club of America in Morgan Hill meets at 7 p.m. at the Villa Mira Monte on Monterey Road. Details: www/valledelsur-aaca.com.
Mondays & Thursdays
- Games at 1:20 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Thursdays at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St. Details: (408) 921-8512 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mon., Wed., Fri. & Sat.
Join the Gilroy Gators Masters
- From 5 to 6 a.m. and most Saturdays from 7 to 8:30 a.m. at Gilroy High School. Masters swimming for adults looking to get in or stay in shape, or for triathletes looking for more swim time and/or instruction. Details: www.gilroygators.org or email email@example.com.
Ladies Golf Club
- The Gilroy Ladies Golf Club is looking for new members. Details: (408) 779-0886 or (408) 776-7509.
- Each class consists of a short introduction, a 20-minute meditation, and a brief discussion. It takes place from 6:30 to 7:15 p.m. E-mail artofyogamorganhill.com, or drop by 16165 Monterey Road, Suite 200. Suggested donation $5. No one turned away.
Tuesdays & Thursdays
- The St. Catherine Community Closet is open from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and the first Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon. Get free gently used clothing and household items. Visit 13570 Depot St., San Martin. Details: (408) 857-4516.
Second, fourth Wednesday
Indivisible South Valley
- Indivisible South Valley, a grassroots effort aligned with the national Indivisible Movement, works to protect democracy and core values, focusing on local communities. Meetings are from 7 to 8:30 p.m., at the clubhouse on Montoya Circle.
- These meetings are for family and friends affected by a loved one’s drug abuse. They meet from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at Gilroy First Baptist Church, 8455 Wren Ave.
- Learn leadership and life skills at the Pacheco Pass 4-H meetings from 7 to 8 p.m. Details: email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (408) 824-8201
Friday Night Bingo
- Doors open at 4 p.m. with early bird games starting at 6 p.m. at the VFW, 74 W. Sixth St.
- Group meets at 6 p.m. for food, 7 p.m. for large groups and 8 p.m. for small groups, at New Hope Community Church, 8886 Muraoka St. Details: (408) 398-5107.
- Join the poetry fun with the longest running group in South County area from 3:30 to 5 p.m., Gilroy Public Library, 350 W. 6th St. All levels welcome.
- The San Martin Horsemen’s Association meets at 7 p.m. at the San Martin Lion’s Club, 12415 Murphy Ave. Details: www.smhorse.org.
Ukulele Sunrise Jam
- Players meet at 8:30 a.m. for an hour of jamming at Café 152 Bread Company, 60 4th St. They play songs from their past three songbooks, which are available at www.GilroyUkuleleJam.com.
- Join the poetry fun with the longest running group in South County area from 3:30 to 5 p.m., at the Gilroy Public Library, 350 W. 6th St. All levels are welcome.
First, third Sundays
Grief Support Group
- Meets at 2 p.m. at the United Methodist Church, 17175 Monterey St., and provides a safe place to share grief. Details: (408) 607-5779 or email email@example.com.
‘Paws With Patriots’ Fundraiser
- Operation Freedom Paws will host it “Paws With Patriots Wine Gala 2018 from 5 to 10 p.m. at the OFP Canine Education Center, 13920 Llagas Ave., San Martin. A $75 ticket ($95 at the door), gets a night of dinner and wine with auctions, live music and special guest KBAY’s Jona Denz-Hamilton. Tickets available at www.ofpwinegala.eventbrite.com. Details: (408) 641-7137 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fill a grocery bag with great books for $8 or $5 for members at the Gilroy Library. 660 W. Sixth St. Proceeds support free classes and events at the library. Details: www.friendsofgilroylibrary.org.
Dine and Help the Homeless
- Mama Mia’s, 1360 First St., will donate a percentage of the proceeds collected between 11:30 a.m. and 9 p.m. to the Gilroy Compassion Center to help benefit the homeless in the community. The GCC supplies food, clothing, hygiene articles and other necessities to the homeless in the south county area. Just mention the Gilroy Compassion Center to your host. Details: www.gilroycompassioncenter.org.
Free Movie at the Library
- See the movie “Show Dogs,” at 3 p.m. at the Gilroy Library, 660 W. Main Ave.
Learn to Sew
- Learn to sew hair scrunchies at 10:30 a.m. at the Gilroy Library, 660 W. Main Ave. For ages 9 and older.
Dinner & Barn Dance
- Enjoy an evening of a barbecue dinner, dancing, line dancing lessons, silent auction and raffle from 6:30 to 10:30 p.m. at 3465 Susie Lane. All proceeds benefit the Gilroy Compassion Center, which helps the homeless in our community. Tickets are $45 and available at www.compassionfunight.eventbrite.com.
Send calendar items to email@example.com.