Published in the September 19 – October 2, 2018 issue of Gilroy Life
Women’s Support Group
- An eight-week personal study with other caring women healing from post-abortion. These are individual or group sessions. Details: (408) 847-8880.
AARP Safe Driving Course
- A course for motorists 50 and older is taking place. Must call and Register to get date and location. Participants will familiarize themselves with driver safety and new laws. No tests. Course, class materials and instructor provided. There is a minimal DMV certificate fee. Details and to register: (408) 779-7117 between 1 and 7 p.m.
Free Guitar Lessons
- Gorden Gibson teaches free guitar lessons at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St., from noon to 1 p.m. Details: (408) 846-0414.
Line Dancing Lessons
- Line dancing from 7 to 9 p.m. at the San Martin Lions Club, 12415 Murphy Ave.
- Group meets at 6:30 p.m. at South Valley Community Church, 8095 Kelton Dr., Gilroy. Details: (408) 848-2363.
Food Addict Meetings
- Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous is a free 12-step program for those suffering from food obsession, overeating, under-eating or bulimia. Meetings are held at 7 p.m. at Advent Lutheran Church, 16870 Murphy Ave. Details or a list of additional meetings, call 800-600-6028 or visit www.foodaddicts.org.
Parenting Support Group
- Join with other moms to learn, share and journey through parenting at 10 a.m. Details: (408) 847-8880.
Mondays & Thursdays
- Games at 1:20 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Thursdays at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St. Details: (408) 921-8512 or email email@example.com.
Mon., Wed., Fri. & Sat.
Join the Gilroy Gators Masters
- From 5 to 6 a.m. and most Saturdays from 7 to 8:30 a.m. at Gilroy High School. Masters swimming for adults looking to get in or stay in shape, or for triathletes looking for more swim time and/or instruction. Details: www.gilroygators.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ladies Golf Club
- The Gilroy Ladies Golf Club is looking for new members. Details: (408) 779-0886 or (408) 776-7509.
- Each class consists of a short introduction, a 20-minute meditation, and a brief discussion. It takes place from 6:30 to 7:15 p.m. E-mail artofyogamorganhill.com, or drop by 16165 Monterey Road, Suite 200. Suggested donation $5. No one turned away.
Free Ukulele Jam Session
- Have fun with an enthusiastic group of ukulele players at the monthly Gilroy Ukulele Jam, 6 to 8 p.m., at Old City Hall Restaurant, 7400 Monterey Road. All playing levels are welcome; free beginner lessons from 5:15 to 5:45 p.m.
Tuesdays & Thursdays
- The St. Catherine Community Closet is open from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and the first Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon. Get free gently used clothing and household items. Visit 13570 Depot St., San Martin. Details: (408) 857-4516.
Flower Lovers Meet
- Morgan Hill Flower Lovers meeting will resume their fall meeting schedule at the Morgan Hill Community & Cultural Center from 12:15 to 2 p.m. Dessert will be served at 12:15 p.m. with a speaker to follow. LCFF Gardner Joan Clout1ier’s will speak about planning a fall and winter vegetable garden.
Alzheimer’s and Dementia’s Care Giver Support
- Find support, respite, and education 6:30 p.m. in the activities room at Merrill Gardens, 7600 Isabella Way. Details: Anne Seckinger at (408) 857-7811.
American Sewing Guild
- If you love to sew and work with fabric you will enjoy meeting with like-minded people. They are part of a group of sewing enthusiasts who challenge and teach each other sewing skills. They meet at 10 a.m. in the Jackson Oaks area of Morgan. Details: www.asgsanjose.org.
Second, fourth Wednesday
Indivisible South Valley
- Indivisible South Valley, a grassroots effort aligned with the national Indivisible Movement, works to protect democracy and core values, focusing on local communities. Meetings are from 7 to 8:30 p.m., at the clubhouse on Montoya Circle.
Naranon Family Meeting
- For family and friends affected by a loved one’s drug abuse, these meetings take place from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Gilroy First Baptist Church, 8455 Wren Ave.
- Learn leadership and life skills at the Pacheco Pass 4-H meetings from 7 to 8 p.m. Details: email email@example.com or call (408) 824-8201.
- Creative writing class, no experience required, meets at 2 p.m. for 13 weeks, Merrill Gardens, 7600 Isabella Way. Details: Amanda Chiado at (408) 621-5114.
Friday Night Bingo
- Doors open at 4 p.m. with early bird games starting at 6 p.m. at the VFW, 74 W. Sixth St.
- Group meets at 6 p.m. for food, 7 p.m. for large groups and 8 p.m. for small groups, at New Hope Community Church, 8886 Muraoka St. Details: (408) 398-5107.
- Join the poetry fun with the longest running group in South County area from 3:30 to 5 p.m., Gilroy Public Library, 350 W. 6th St. All levels welcome.
Ukulele Sunrise Jam
- Players meet at 8:30 a.m. for an hour of jamming at Café 152 Bread Company, 60 4th St. They play songs from their past three songbooks, which are available at www.GilroyUkuleleJam.com.
First, third Sundays
Grief Support Group
- Meets at 2 p.m. at the United Methodist Church, 17175 Monterey St., and provides a safe place to share grief. Details: (408) 607-5779 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jose Méndez and Special Guests Perform
- José Méndez, born into the legendary Méndez clan of Gypsy flamenco singers from Spain, will perform from 7 to 8:30 p.m., at Gavilan College, 5055 Santa Teresa Blvd. He has performed throughout North and South America, Asia and Europe and is currently on his North America tour. General admission tickets are $20, students and seniors are $15, and are available at Porcella’s Music in Gilroy, BookSmart in Morgan Hill, the Gavilan College Bookstore, brownpapertickets.com, and at the door.
Red Barn Fundraising Dinner
- The Red Barn Fundraising Dinner takes place from 5 to 10 p.m. at the VFW Memorial Hall, 74 W. Sixth St. Funds will go toward foundation and flooring in the barn. The fun-filled evening benefits the Miller Red Barn restoration. There will be a silent auction, wine pull, and barn art auction. Tickets are $50 and are available at www.TheMillerRedBarn.org.
AAUW Candidate Forum
- The American Association of University Women, Morgan Hill Life and Morgan Hill Times present the 2018 Candidate Forum for Morgan Hill Mayor, City Council, State Assembly District 30 and Santa Clara County Sheriff. The forum begins at 6 p.m. at the Morgan Hill City Council Chamber, 17555 Peak Ave. Please email questions you’d like asked to email@example.com by Sept. 20.
Send calendar items to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest posts by Calendar Editor (see all)
- Calendar of Events – Published in the November 14 – 27, 2018 issue of Gilroy Life - November 10, 2018
- Calendar of Events – Published in the October 31 – November 13, 2018 issue of Gilroy Life - October 27, 2018
- Nov. 2, 2018 “Best of Poppy Festival” film shown at Morgan Hill Playhouse - October 22, 2018