Winners will be honored Feb. 2
The annual Spice of Life Awards honor the people and businesses that make Gilroy a better place for everyone to live and work. The Gilroy Chamber of Commerce last week announced the 2019 recipients who will be honored at a gala Feb. 2 at San Juan Oaks Golf Course in Hollister.
The winners are:
- 2019 Man of the Year: Frank Angelino
- 2019 Woman of the Year: Susan Mister
- 2019 Volunteer of the Year: Clorinda Sergi
- 2019 Educator of the Year: Emily Diaz
- 2019 Large Business of the Year (26 or more employees): Gilroy Chevrolet
- 2019 Small Business of the Year (25 or fewer employees): CalSilk Screen Printing
- 2019 Nonprofit of the Year: South Valley Community Church
- 2019 Susan Valenta Youth Leadership Award: Brandon Krueger
Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors Chair Michele Campbell described the Spice of Life Awards as an opportunity to recognize people in the community who have shown outstanding efforts in volunteerism. They are “good, all-around people and businesses who have been involved in the community,” she said.
Citizens nominate various individuals and companies for the various award categories. A committee then makes the suggestions to the chamber and the board approves the final selections.
Many times, people who might not be widely known but who silently contribute much to the quality of life in Gilroy are often honored, Campbell said.
“You hear about all their accomplishments and you’re just blown away,” she said. “Like Frank Angelino, the 2019 Man of the Year who is involved with the Elks Club. A lot of us in Rotary just know him as the bartender up there (at the Elks Lodge). But there’s all this stuff that he’s done over 30, 40 years. It’s amazing how quiet people are about what they do. They just quietly give to this community their efforts and time and their knowledge. It’s amazing the people who get these awards.”
Latest posts by Robert Airoldi (see all)
- Text to 9-1-1 service now available in Santa Clara County - October 11, 2019
- Around Town … with Robert Airoldi: Local firefighters honor veteran being trans-ported to cemetery - October 11, 2019
- Archive: Published in the October 16 – 29, 2019 issue of Gilroy Life - October 11, 2019