Women’s Support Group
- An eight-week personal study with other caring women healing from post-abortion. These are individual or group sessions depending on the needs of participants. Details: (408) 847-8880.
AARP Safe Driving Course
- A course for motorists 50 and older is taking place. Must call and register to get date and location. Participants will familiarize themselves with driver safety and new laws. No tests. Course, materials and instructor provided. There is a minimal DMV certificate fee. Details and to register: (408) 779-7117 between 1 and 7 p.m.
Line Dancing Lessons
- Line dancing lessons from 7 to 9 p.m. at the San Martin Lions Club, 12415 Murphy Ave.
- Group meets at 6:30 p.m. at South Valley Community Church, 8095 Kelton Dr., Gilroy. Details: (408) 848-2363.
Food Addict Meetings
- Food Addicts in Recovery, a 12-step program for those suffering from overeating, under-eating or bulimia, meet at 7 p.m., Advent Lutheran Church, 16870 Murphy Ave. Details: 800-600-6028 or www.foodaddicts.org.
Parkinson’s Support Group
- Meet at the Merrill Gardens Activity Room, 7600 Isabella Way, from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Details: Judy at (408) 607-8254.
Car Lovers Meet
- The Valle del Sur region of the Antique Automobile Club of America meets at 7:30 p.m. at the Villa Mira Monte on Monterey Road. Details: www.valledelsur-aaca.com.
Active Living Programs
- Meets from 1:30 to 2:40 p.m. at Merrill Gardens, 7600 Isabella Way. Details: (408) 607-8254 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Second Monday
Parenting Support Group
- Join with other moms to learn, share and journey through parenting at 10 a.m. Details: (408) 847-8880.
Monday & Thursday
- Enjoy friendly bridge games that begin at 1:20 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Thursdays at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St. Details: (408) 921-8512 or email email@example.com.
Mon., Wed., Fri., & Sat.
Join the Gilroy Gators Masters
- From 5 to 6 a.m. and most Saturdays from 7 to 8:30 a.m. at Gilroy High School. Masters swimming for adults looking to get in or stay in shape, or for triathletes looking for more swim time and/or instruction. Details: www.gilroygators.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Each class consists of a short introduction, a 20-minute meditation, and a brief discussion. It takes place from 6:30 to 7:15 p.m. E-mail artofyogamorganhill.com, or drop by 16165 Monterey Road, Suite 200. Suggested donation $5. No one turned away.
Free Ukulele Jam Session
- Have fun with an enthusiastic group of ukulele players at the monthly Gilroy Ukulele Jam, 6 to 8 p.m., at Old City Hall Restaurant, 7400 Monterey Road. All playing levels are welcome; free beginner lessons from 5:15 to 5:45 p.m.
Tuesdays & Thursdays
- The St. Catherine Community Closet is open from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and the first Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon. Get free, gently-used clothing and household items, at 13570 Depot St., San Martin. Details: (408) 857-4516.
Student Recovery/Life Skills Class
- “God Heals” is an eight-step program for middle and high schoolers providing life skills. Free classes take place from 6:30 to 8 p.m., at Cathedral of Faith, 7250 Forest St. Details: Suzie at (408) 497-2494.
Alzheimer, Dementia Care Support
- Find support, respite, and education 6:30 p.m. in the activities room at Merrill Gardens, 7600 Isabella Way. Details: Anne Seckinger at (408) 857-7811.
American Sewing Guild
- If you love to sew and work with fabric you’ll enjoy meeting a group of sewing enthusiasts who challenge and teach each other sewing skills. Meet at 10 a.m. in the Jackson Oaks area of Morgan Hill. Details: www.asgsanjose.org.
SV Woodworkers Meet
- If you are a woodworker or enjoy working with wood you might enjoy joining the South Valley Woodworkers, serving South San Jose, Morgan Hill, Gilroy, San Martin and Hollister. The group meets at 7 p.m. in Morgan Hill. Details: www.southvalleywoodworkers.org.
Second, Fourth Wed.
Indivisible South Valley
- Indivisible South Valley, a grassroots effort aligned with the national Indivisible Movement, works to protect democracy and core values, focusing on local communities. Meetings are from 7 to 8:30 p.m., at the clubhouse on Montoya Circle.
Alanon Family Meeting
- An Alanon meeting for family and friends of alcoholics takes place at 7 p.m. at Gilroy First Baptist Church, 8455 Wren Ave.
- Learn leadership and life skills at the Pacheco Pass 4-H meetings from 7 to 8 p.m. Details: email email@example.com or call (408) 824-8201.
Creative Writing Class
- No experience required, meets at 2 p.m. for 13 weeks, Merrill Gardens, 7600 Isabella Way. Details: (408) 621-5114.
- Learn leadership skills and life skills at the Pacheco Pass 4-H meetings. Held at the Lion’s Club of San Martin, 12415 Murphy Ave., from 7 to 8 p.m. Details: email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Women in Touch
- Women in Touch II invites others to renew friendships and make new ones. Meetings, which include lunch and entertainment, take place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., at the Gilroy Elks Lodge. The cost is $23, reservations required. Call 408) 847-1964 or email email@example.com.
Friday Night Bingo
- Doors open at 4 p.m., early games start at 6 p.m. at the VFW, 74 W. Sixth St.
- Group meets at 6 p.m. for food, 7 p.m. for large groups and 8 p.m. for small groups, at New Hope Community Church, 8886 Muraoka St. Details: (408) 781-4498.
Late Evening Gym
- Come to a safe space and have fun from 6 to 9 p.m. at the El Portal gym, 222 I.O.O.F. Ave. Food is served. Program for ages 13 to 19 though younger children are allowed if accompanied by a parent or sibling older than 18. A permission slip is needed if attending for the first time. Details: (408) 846-0460 or (408) 846-0313.
San Martin Horsemen Meet
- The San Martin Horsemen’s Association meets at 7 p.m. at the San Martin Lion’s Club, 12415 Murphy Ave. Details: www.smhorse.org.
Ukulele Sunrise Jam
- Players meet at 8:30 a.m. for an hour of jamming at Café 152 Bread Company, 60 4th St. They play songs from their past three songbooks, which are available at www.GilroyUkuleleJam.com.
Gilroy Poetry Fun
- Join the Gilroy Garlicky Group of poets for poetry fun from 3:30 to 5 p.m. at the Gilroy Public Library, 350 W. 6th St. This is very low key with all levels welcome from the South Valley.
First & Third Sundays
Grief Support Group
- Group meets at 2 p.m. at the United Methodist Church, 17175 Monterey St. It provides a safe place to share grief. Details: (408) 607-5779 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
CHP Explorer Open House
- The California Highway Patrol’s Hollister-Gilroy Area office will hold an open house to promote the Explorer Post in the hopes of recruiting new cadets. It takes place 6 to 7:30 p.m. their office, 740 Renz Lane, Gilroy. The program is a unique and challenging opportunity that allows young men and women (ages 15 to 21) to be an integral part of the department’s operations and experience what a career in law enforcement would be like. Explorers are trained in many aspects of law enforcement and they work with officers in the field. Food and refreshments will be provided. Seating is limited. RSVP by calling or emailing officer Chris Miceli at (408) 848-2324 x211 or email@example.com to reserve a spot.
Paws in the Park
- The Paws in the Park Pet Festival, sponsored by GreenTripe, will be held from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Gavilan College soccer field. There will be several contests, including best wag, doggie dress up, and a pet-owner look-alike. Also, watch dog yoga, pet first aid, and sheep herding demonstrations.
Art Exhibit, Reception
- An Artist Reception for the “Beautiful California” Exhibit will be held from 2 to 4 p.m., at the Gilroy Center for the Arts, 7341 Monterey Road. A reception with a twist … you identify the location of each photograph or painting, and you could win prizes. The Exhibit is open from June 1 until July 3.
June 6, 7, 8, & 9
Ramayana on Stage
- Join Hanuman, the monkeys, and princess Ram and Lakshman as they journey to Lanka in their quest to rescue Princess Sita. A dress preview takes place at 7 p.m. June 6 for $15. June 7 the show begins at 7 p.m.; with matinees scheduled for 2 p.m. June 8 and 9. Tickets are $25 to $85 and available at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (408) 847-2717.
Henry Coe State Park Run & Walk
- Enjoy exercise, friendship and family fun at the Henry W. Coe State Park 5K/10K Fun Run & Walk at 9 a.m. at the park. Tickets are $10 to $40 and available at www.coepark.net/hh5k10k. Details: email@example.com or call (510) 324-9737. Parking is limited, carpool if possible.
Compassion Center Fundraiser
- Chipotle Mexican Grill, 6955 Camino Arroyo #70, will host a fundraiser where a percentage of all sales will go directly to supporting the Gilroy Compassion Center. Have a meal and mention the “Gilroy Compassion Center “when you order. Details: www.gilroycompassioncenter.org.
Coffee with a Cop
- Got a question or just want to talk with a Gilroy Police officer? The next coffee with a cop takes place from 10 a.m. to noon, at Panera Bread, 6865 Camino Arroyo.
- This grassroots community effort supports and recognizes the value of dedicated individuals in the California public education system and is a Cal-SOAP Fundraiser. You’ll enjoy a night of live music, local culinary delights, Solis’ award-winning wines, and hear about some of local student’s challenges, and successes from 6 to 8:30 p.m., at Solis Winery, 3920 Hecker Pass Highway. The special guests will include California State Assemblyman Robert Rivas, Gavilan College Board Trustee Edwin Diaz and the recipient of the Cal-SOAP Educator of the Year award, Dr. Blanca Arteaga. Whether or not you win one of the exciting drawing prizes while you’re there, you will go home happy you were a part of our 15th Anniversary Celebration — AlumNight 2019! Tickets are $55 and available at www.soliswinery.com/news_events/.
Please send calendar items to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest posts by Marty Cheek (see all)
- Nonprofit profile: ‘Godspell’ takes honor as best 2019 SVCT show - October 11, 2019
- Student Video Contest - October 10, 2019
- Symphony’s opening concert will feature music from the silver screen - September 27, 2019