Find out what’s happening in the Gilroy community
Women’s Support Group
- Join an eight-week personal study session with other caring women healing from post-abortion. These are individual or group sessions depending on the needs of the participants involved. Details: (408) 847-8880.
AARP Safe Driving Course
- A refresher course for motorists 50 and older is currently taking place. You must call and register to get the dates and location. Participants will familiarize themselves with driver safety and new laws. No tests. Course, materials and instructor provided. There is a minimal DMV certificate fee. Details and to register: Please call (408) 779-7117 between 1 and 7 p.m.
- Group meets at 6:30 p.m. at South Valley Community Church, 8095 Kelton Dr., Gilroy. Details: (408) 848-2363.
Food Addict Meetings
- Food Addicts in Recovery, a 12-step program for those suffering from overeating, under-eating or bulimia, meet at 7 p.m., Advent Lutheran Church, 16870 Murphy Ave. Details: 800-600-6028 or www.foodaddicts.org.
Line Dancing Lessons
- Line dancing lessons from 7 to 9 p.m. at the San Martin Lions Club, 12415 Murphy Ave.
Parkinson’s Support Group
- Meet at the Merrill Gardens Activity Room, 7600 Isabella Way, from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Details: (408) 607-8254.
Car Lovers Meet
- The Valle del Sur region of the Antique Automobile Club of America meets at 7:30 p.m. at the Villa Mira Monte on Monterey Road. Details: www.valledelsur-aaca.com.
Active Living Programs
- This group meets from 1:30 to 2:40 p.m. at Merrill Gardens, 7600 Isabella Way. Details: (408) 607-8254 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday & Thursday
- Enjoy games that begin at 1:20 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Thursdays at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St. Details: (408) 921-8512 or email email@example.com.
Mon., Wed., Fri., & Sat.
Join the Gilroy Gators Masters
- Swim from 5 to 6 a.m. and most Saturdays from 7 to 8:30 a.m. at Gilroy High School. Sessions are for adults looking to get in or stay in shape, or for triathletes looking for more swim time and/or instruction. Details: www.gilroygators.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Class consists of a short introduction, a 20-minute meditation, and a brief discussion. It takes place from 6:30 to 7:15 p.m. E-mail artofyogamorganhill.com, or visit 16165 Monterey Road, #200.
- Learn leadership skills and life skills at the Adam’s 4-H meetings. Held from 7 to 8 p.m. at the Gilroy Grange, 8191 Swanston Lane. Details: email: email@example.com.
Tuesday & Thursday
- The St. Catherine Community Closet is open from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and the first Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon. Get free, gently-used clothing and household items, at 13570 Depot St., San Martin. Details: (408) 857-4516.
Student Recovery/Life Skills Class
- “God Heals” is an eight-step program for middle and high schoolers providing life skills. Free classes take place from 6:30 to 8 p.m., at Cathedral of Faith, 7250 Forest St. Details: Suzie at (408) 497-2494.
Alzheimer, Dementia Care Support
- Find support, respite, and education 6:30 p.m. in the activities room at Merrill Gardens, 7600 Isabella Way. Details: Anne Seckinger at (408) 857-7811.
American Sewing Guild
- If you love to sew and work with fabric, you’ll enjoy meeting a group of enthusiasts who challenge and teach each other sewing skills. Meet at 10 a.m. in the Jackson Oaks area of Morgan Hill. Details: www.asgsanjose.org.
SV Woodworkers Meet
- If you are a woodworker or enjoy working with wood you might enjoy joining the South Valley Woodworkers. The group meets at 7 p.m. in Morgan Hill. Details: www.southvalleywoodworkers.org.
2nd & 4th Wednesday
Indivisible South Valley
- Indivisible South Valley, a grassroots effort aligned with the national Indivisible Movement, works to protect democracy and core values, focusing on local communities. Meetings are from 7 to 8:30 p.m., at the clubhouse on Montoya Circle.
Alanon Family Meeting
- An Alanon meeting for family and friends of alcoholics takes place at 7 p.m. at Gilroy First Baptist Church, 8455 Wren Ave.
- Learn leadership and life skills at the Pacheco Pass 4-H meetings from 7 to 8 p.m. Details: email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (408) 824-8201.
Creative Writing Class
- No experience required, meets at 2 p.m. for 13 weeks, Merrill Gardens, 7600 Isabella Way. Details: (408) 621-5114.
- Learn leadership skills and life skills at the Pacheco Pass 4-H meetings. Held at the Lion’s Club of San Martin, 12415 Murphy Ave., from 7 to 8 p.m. Details: email: email@example.com.
Friday Night Bingo
- Doors open at 4 p.m., early games start at 6 p.m. at the VFW, 74 W. Sixth St.
- Group meets at 6 p.m. for food, 7 p.m. for large groups and 8 p.m. for small groups, at New Hope Community Church, 8886 Muraoka St. Details: (408) 781-4498.
Late Evening Gym
- Come to a safe space and have fun from 6 to 9 p.m. at the El Portal gym, 222 I.O.O.F. Ave. Food is served. Program for ages 13 to 19 though younger children are allowed if accompanied by a parent or sibling older than 18. A permission slip is needed if attending for the first time. Details: (408) 846-0460 or (408) 846-0313.
San Martin Horsemen Meet
- The San Martin Horsemen’s Association meets at 7 p.m. at the San Martin Lion’s Club, 12415 Murphy Ave. Details: www.smhorse.org.
Ukulele Sunrise Jam
- Players meet at 8:30 a.m. for an hour of jamming at Café 152 Bread Company, 60 4th St. They play songs from their past three songbooks, which are available at www.GilroyUkuleleJam.com.
Gilroy Poetry Fun
- Join the Gilroy Garlicky Group of poets for poetry fun from 3:30 to 5 p.m. at the Gilroy Public Library, 350 W. 6th St. This is very low key with all levels welcome.
First & Third Sundays
Grief Support Group
- Group meets at 2 p.m. at the United Methodist Church, 17175 Monterey St. It provides a safe place to share grief. Details: (408) 607-5779 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
South Bay Singers Reunite
- South Bay Singers will come together to start rehearsing for their holiday concert. Join them at 7 p.m. at the Church of Jesus Christ, Latter Day Saints, 1790 E. Dunne Ave. If you’re curious, drop in for a session or two … they are always looking for new singers. Details: www.southbaysingers.com. or (408) 842-6437.
Planning a Fall/Winter Garden
- There are many types of vegetables you can grow in fall and winter after tomatoes are gone. Leafy greens, root vegetables, broccoli and other cool-season crops will be covered from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the Gilroy Library, 350 W. Sixth St.
Music Under The Stars
- Enjoy the Classic Echoes from 6 to 9 p.m. at P&V Winery, 10155 Dougherty Ave. Ten percent of the proceeds will be donated the victims and families of the Garlic Festival shooting. Email email@example.com to RSVP attendance.
Gilroy Benefit Concert
- The Gilroy Police Officers’ Association will hold a benefit concert to raise money for victims of a shooting at the Gilroy Garlic Festival from noon to 9 p.m., at the Gilroy Elks Lodge on Hecker Pass Highway. There will be local bands, a DJ, a live and silent auction, food and drinks, raffles and a kids play area. The event is free, but all proceeds will be donated to the Gilroy Foundation Victim Relief Fund.
Chili Champions 2019
- The battle heats up as the firefighters square off against the EMS and police to determine bragging rights in the Chili Champions 2019. The event takes place from noon to 6 p.m., at The Stomping Ground, 6500 Brem Lane. Tickets are $20 for one taste of each chili entered and one People’s Choice voting ticket. Barbecue dishes available all day. Chili tasting from noon to 2:30 p.m. Steel Horse plays from noon to 2:30 p.m., with Blue Rock Tonic from 3 to 6 p.m. All proceeds benefit the Operation Freedom Paws. Details: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send calendar items to email@example.com.
Latest posts by Calendar Editor (see all)
- Calendar of Events: Published in the September 18 – October 1, 2019 issue of Gilroy Life - September 14, 2019
- Calendar of Events: Published in the Sept. 4 – 17, 2019 issue of Gilroy Life - August 31, 2019
- Calendar of Events: Published in the August 21 – Sept. 3, 2019 issue of Gilroy Life - August 16, 2019