Find out what’s happening in our community
Women’s Support Group
- Join an eight-week personal study session with other caring women healing from post-abortion. These are individual or group sessions depending on the needs of the participants involved. Details: (408) 847-8880.
AARP Safe Driving Course
- A refresher course for motorists 50 and older is currently taking place. You must call and register to get the dates and location. Participants will familiarize themselves with driver safety and new laws. No tests. Course, materials and instructor provided. There is a minimal DMV certificate fee. Details and to register: Call (408) 779-7117 between 1 and 7 p.m.
- Group meets at 6:30 p.m. at South Valley Community Church, 8095 Kelton Dr., Gilroy. Details: (408) 848-2363.
Food Addict Meetings
- Food Addicts in Recovery, a 12-step program for those suffering from overeating, under-eating or bulimia, meet at 7 p.m., Advent Lutheran Church, 16870 Murphy Ave. Details: 800-600-6028 or www.foodaddicts.org.
Line Dancing Lessons
- Line dancing lessons from 7 to 9 p.m. at the San Martin Lions Club, 12415 Murphy Ave.
Parkinson’s Support Group
- Parkinson’s patients and their caregivers are invited to attend this support group from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., at Merrill Gardens, 7600 Isabella Way, Gilroy. Details: (408) 691-5982
Car Lovers Meet
- The Valle del Sur region of the Antique Automobile Club of America meets at 7:30 p.m. at the Villa Mira Monte on Monterey Road. Details: www.valledelsur-aaca.com.
Parenting Support Group
- Join other moms to learn, share and journey through parenting at 10 a.m. Details: (408) 847-8880.
Monday & Thursday
- Enjoy games that begin at noon Mondays and 10 a.m. Thursdays at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St. Details: (408) 921-8512 or email [email protected]
Mon., Wed., Fri., & Sat.
Join the Gilroy Gators Masters
- Swim from 5 to 6 a.m. and most Saturdays from 7 to 8:30 a.m. at Gilroy High School. Sessions are for adults looking to get in, or stay in shape, or for triathletes looking for more swim time and/or instruction. Details: Visit www.gilroygators.org or email [email protected]
- This fun class consists of a short introduction, a 20-minute meditation, and a brief discussion afterward. It takes place from 6:30 to 7:15 p.m., at 16165 Monterey Road, Suite #200. Details: Please e-mail artofyogamorganhill.com.
- Learn leadership and life skills at the Adam’s 4-H meetings. They are held from 7 to 8 p.m. at the Gilroy Grange, 8191 Swanston Lane. Details: [email protected]
Free Ukulele Jam Session
- Have fun with an enthusiastic group of players at the monthly Gilroy Ukulele Jam, 6 to 8 p.m., at Old City Hall Restaurant, 7400 Monterey Road. All playing levels are welcome to join; free beginner lessons available from 5:15 to 5:45 p.m.
Tuesday & Thursday
- The St. Catherine Community Closet is open from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and the first Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon. Get free, gently-used clothing and household items, at 13570 Depot St., San Martin. Details: (408) 857-4516.
Student Recovery/Life Skills Class
- “God Heals” is an 8-step program for middle and high schoolers providing free life skill classes that take place from 6:30 to 8 p.m., at Cathedral of Faith, 7250 Forest St. Details: Suzie at (408) 497-2494.
Alzheimer, Dementia Care Support
- Find support, respite, and education 6:30 p.m. in the activities room at Merrill Gardens, 7600 Isabella Way. Details: Anne Seckinger at (408) 857-7811.
American Sewing Guild
- If you love to sew and work with fabric, you’ll enjoy meeting a group of enthusiasts who challenge and teach each other sewing skills. Meet at 10 a.m. in the Jackson Oaks area of Morgan Hill. Details: www.asgsanjose.org.
Wind Symphony Meets
- The Morgan Hill Wind Symphony meets from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. at the Morgan Hill Presbyterian Church, 16970 Dewitt Ave. No auditions needed. Openings in all sections. Anyone who plays a brass, woodwind or percussion instrument and has at least two years’ experience is invited. Details: email [email protected] or visit www.mhws.org.
Alzheimer’s, Dementia Support
- Get support, respite and education at these monthly meetings in the Activities Room, at Merrill Gardens, 7600 Isabella Way. Details: Anne Seckinger at (408) 857-7811.
SV Woodworkers Meet
- If you are a woodworker or enjoy working with wood you might enjoy joining the South Valley Woodworkers. The group meets at 7 p.m. in Morgan Hill. Details: www.southvalleywoodworkers.org.
2nd & 4th Wednesday
Indivisible South Valley
- Indivisible South Valley, a grassroots effort aligned with the national Indivisible Movement, works to protect democracy and core values, focusing on local communities. Meetings are from 7 to 8:30 p.m., at the clubhouse on Montoya Circle.
Alanon Family Meeting
- A meeting for family and friends of alcoholics takes place at 7 p.m. at Gilroy First Baptist Church, 8455 Wren Ave.
- Learn leadership and life skills at the Pacheco Pass 4-H meetings from 7 to 8 p.m. Details: Email [email protected] or call (408) 824-8201.
Creative Writing Class
- No experience needed for this 13-week class that meets at 2 p.m., at Merrill Gardens, 7600 Isabella Way, Gilroy. Details: (408) 621-5114.
American Legion Meets
- The American Legion meets at 6 p.m., at the Veterans Memorial Building, 74 W. 6th St. Details: Ray at (408) 607-3280 or [email protected]
- Learn leadership and life skills at Pacheco Pass 4-H meetings at the Lion’s Club of San Martin, 12415 Murphy Ave., from 7 to 8 p.m. Details: email: [email protected]
Women in Touch
- Women in Touch II invites others to renew friendships and make new ones. Meetings, which include lunch and entertainment, are from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., at the Gilroy Elks Lodge. The cost is $23, reservations required. Call 408) 847-1964 or email [email protected]
Friday Night Bingo
- Doors open at 4 p.m. and early games start at 6 p.m. at the VFW, 74 W. Sixth St.
- Group meets at 6 p.m. for food, 7 p.m. for large groups and 8 p.m. for small groups, at New Hope Community Church, 8886 Muraoka St. Details: (408) 781-4498.
Late Evening Gym
- Come to a safe space and have fun from 6 to 9 p.m. at the El Portal gym, 222 I.O.O.F. Ave. Program for 13 to 19 though younger children allowed if accompanied by a parent or sibling older than 18. Permission slip needed if attending for the first time. Details: (408) 846-0460.
San Martin Horsemen Meet
- The San Martin Horsemen’s Association meets at 7 p.m. at the San Martin Lion’s Club, 12415 Murphy Ave. Details: www.smhorse.org.
Ukulele Sunrise Jam
- Players meet at 8:30 a.m. for an hour at Café 152 Bread Company, 60 4th St. They play songs from songbooks, which are available at www.GilroyUkuleleJam.com.
Running Group, Club Run
- The South Valley Running Club is hosting a group run at 8 a.m. Various distances. All levels welcome. Membership is not required. Details: www.svrchome.org.
Weekly Bike Rides
- Join others for a no-drop 15- 25-mile road ride around Morgan Hill. Starts at 7:30 a.m. at Bike Therapy, 17540 Depot St.
Gilroy Poetry Fun
- Join the Gilroy Garlicky Group of poets for poetry fun from 3:30 to 5 p.m. at the Gilroy Public Library, 350 W. 6th St. This is very low key with all levels welcome.
First & Third Sundays
Grief Support Group
- Group meets at 2 p.m. at the United Methodist Church, 17175 Monterey St. It provides a safe place to share grief. Details: (408) 607-5779 or email [email protected]
Veterans Resource Fair
- The Gilroy Veterans Memorial Hall is hosting a Veterans Resource from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Veterans Memorial Hall, 74 W. Sixth St., Gilroy. This event will include medical professionals, counseling, benefits assistance, and local businesses with services specifically for veterans. Santa Clara County Veterans Service Officers will educate veterans on benefits, start claims, discuss education assistance and even start the process for obtaining a new driver’s license with a veteran’s designation. Veterans need to bring either their VA card and/or a DD214 for proof of service. Details: Please email [email protected] or call (408) 842-3838.
- Join the Chamber of Commerce and hear Vartan Djihanian, United States Chamber Western Region Manager, Congressional and Public Affairs Division, speak at 7:30 a.m., at Guild Mortgage, 155 W. Main Ave., Suite #170, Morgan Hill.
Starting Seeds in Trays
- Learn about seeds; what seeds to sow now; use of various containers, pots, and tools; hands-on sowing of seeds; and handy tips for best results. They’ll be working outside at a shade structure so bring gloves, dress comfortably for outdoors and be ready to sow. This session takes place from 10 to 11:30 a.m. at the St. Louise Teaching and Demonstration Garden, 9400 No Name Uno Way and will be cancelled if raining. Presented by Master Gardener Virginia Janovitch.
- Sobrato Murphy Music Association is hosting a spirit night at Red Robin Restaurant from 5 to 8 p.m., located at 1045 Cochrane Road, Morgan Hill (Target Center). Please mention the fundraiser.
Growing Your Own Seedlings
- You can grow all the varieties you really want by starting your own seeds. You may want to try new varieties or disease resistant plants but can’t find them. Methods of starting seeds will be covered, as well as soil, light, water, temperatures, plant nutrition, diseases and insects that can affect your seedling germination and growth. Session takes place from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the Gilroy Library, 350 W. Sixth St. Presented by UCCE Master Gardener Joan Cloutier.
Send calendar items to [email protected]