Published in the October 31 – November 13, 2018 issue of Gilroy Life
Free Guitar Lessons
- Free guitar lessons at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St., from noon to 1 p.m. Details: (408) 846-0414.
Line Dancing Lessons
- Line dancing lessons from 7 to 9 p.m. at the San Martin Lions Club, 12415 Murphy Ave.
- Group meets at 6:30 p.m. at South Valley Community Church, 8095 Kelton Dr., Gilroy. Details: (408) 848-2363.
Food Addict Meetings
- Food Addicts in Recovery is a 12-step program for those suffering from overeating, under-eating or bulimia. Meetings are at 7 p.m., Advent Lutheran Church, 16870 Murphy Ave. Details: 800-600-6028 or www.foodaddicts.org.
Parkinson’s Support Group
- Meet at the Merrill Gardens Activity Room, 7600 Isabella Way, from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Details: Judy at (408) 607-8254.
Car Lovers Meet
- The Valle del Sur region of the Antique Automobile Club of America in Morgan Hill meets at 7 p.m. at the Villa Mira Monte on Monterey Road. Details: www.valledelsur-aaca.com.
Monday & Thursday
- Bridge games begin at 1:20 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Thursdays at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St. Details: (408) 921-8512 or email email@example.com.
Mon., Wed., Fri. & Sat.
Join the Gilroy Gators Masters
- From 5 to 6 a.m. and most Saturdays from 7 to 8:30 a.m. at Gilroy High School. Masters swimming for adults looking to get in or stay in shape, or for triathletes looking for more swim time and/or instruction. Details: www.gilroygators.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ladies Golf Club
- The Gilroy Ladies Golf Club is looking for new members. Details: (408) 779-0886 or (408) 776-7509.
- Each class consists of a short introduction, a 20-minute meditation, and a brief discussion. It takes place from 6:30 to 7:15 p.m. E-mail artofyogamorganhill.com, or drop by 16165 Monterey Road, Suite 200. Suggested donation $5. No one turned away.
Tuesday & Thursday
- The St. Catherine Community Closet is open from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and the first Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon. Get free, gently-used clothing and household items, at 13570 Depot St., San Martin. Details: (408) 857-4516.
Student Recovery/Life Skills Class
- “Life Hurts God Heals” is an eight-step program for middle and high school students providing life skills for students. Free classes take place from 6:30 to 8 p.m., at Cathedral of Faith, 7250 Forest St., Gilroy. Details: Suzie at (408) 497-2494.
SV Woodworkers Meet
- If you are a woodworker or enjoy working with wood you might enjoy joining the South Valley Woodworkers, serving South San Jose, Morgan Hill, Gilroy, San Martin and Hollister. The group meets at 7 p.m. in Morgan Hill. Details: www.southvalleywoodworkers.org.
Second, fourth Wed.
Indivisible South Valley
- Indivisible South Valley, a grassroots effort aligned with the national Indivisible Movement, works to protect democracy and core values, focusing on local communities. Meetings are from 7 to 8:30 p.m., at the clubhouse on Montoya Circle.
Naranon Family Meeting
- For family and friends affected by a loved one’s drug abuse, these meetings take place from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Gilroy First Baptist Church, 8455 Wren Ave.
- Learn leadership and life skills at the Pacheco Pass 4-H meetings from 7 to 8 p.m. Details: email email@example.com or call (408) 824-8201.
- Creative writing class, no experience required, meets at 2 p.m. for 13 weeks, Merrill Gardens, 7600 Isabella Way. Details: Amanda Chiado at (408) 621-5114.
Friday Night Bingo
- Doors open at 4 p.m. with early games starting at 6 p.m. at the VFW, 74 W. Sixth St.
- Group meets at 6 p.m. for food, 7 p.m. for large groups and 8 p.m. for small groups, at New Hope Community Church, 8886 Muraoka St. Details: (408) 398-5107.
- Join the poetry fun with the longest running group in South County area from 3:30 to 5 p.m., Gilroy Public Library, 350 W. 6th St. All levels welcome.
Late Evening Gym
- Come to a safe space to play games and have fun from 6 to 9 p.m. at the El Portal gym, 222 I.O.O.F. Ave. Food is served. This program is for ages 13 to 19 though younger children are allowed if accompanied by a parent or sibling older than 18. A permission slip is needed if attending for the first time. Details: (408) 846-0460 or (408) 846-0313.
- The San Martin Horsemen’s Association meets at 7 p.m. at the San Martin Lion’s Club, 12415 Murphy Ave. Details: www.smhorse.org.
Ukulele Sunrise Jam
- Players meet at 8:30 a.m. for an hour of jamming at Café 152 Bread Company, 60 4th St. They play songs from their past three songbooks, which are available at www.GilroyUkuleleJam.com.
- Join the Gilroy Garlicky Group of poets for poetry fun from 3:30 to 5 p.m., at the Gilroy Library, 350 W. Sixth St. Come join the fun. Very low key with all levels welcome.
First, third Sundays
Grief Support Group
- Meets at 2 p.m. at the United Methodist Church, 17175 Monterey St., and provides a safe place to share grief. Details: (408) 607-5779 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Call to Artists
- Be a vendor at the Nov. 9 to 11 Fifth Annual Artisan Holiday Boutique at the Gilroy Center for the Arts, 7341 Monterey St. The deadline to enter is Nov. 2. The Holiday Boutique is designed to give local artists and artisans an opportunity to offer a holiday shopping experience to the local community. Hand-crafted and hand manufactured art is welcome. Visit www.files.constantcontact.com/81aabb3f001/6320bf5b-666d-49b3-a9a7-cf232ab49d52.pdf to download an application.
- The Santa Clara County Library District is offering two different workshops — one on Medicare Enrollment and the second on Diabetes Prevention/Management from 10 to 11:30 a.m., at the Gilroy Library, 660 W. Sixth St.
Flower Lovers Meet
- The Morgan Hill Flower Lovers meet starting at 12:15 p.m. with refreshments, at the Morgan Hill Community and Cultural Center, 17000 Monterey Road. This month’s program will have members making a pumpkin centerpiece. Members are asked to bring small flowers, seed pods, leaves, feathers, succulents, etc. to decorate their pumpkin. Pumpkins will be provided.
Nov. 7 & Dec. 5
Disaster Preparedness Workshops
- Attend one of the disaster preparedness workshops at 7 p.m. at the Gilroy Library, 660 W. Sixth St. Learn what to do if you can’t return home after a major disaster, how to reconnect with your family, and how to create a disaster kit so you can survive the aftermath. Details: (408) 842-8207 or www.sccl.org.
Books by the Bag
- Fill a grocery bag with used books for $8 ($5 for members of the Friends of the Gilroy Library) from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the library, 350 W. Sixth St. Proceeds from the sale support the free classes and events that take place at the Gilroy Library. They will also have colorful book bags emblazoned with their logo which can be purchased for just $2. Details: Friends of the Gilroy Library, www.Friendsofgilroylibrary.org.
Please send calendar items to email@example.com.