Women’s Support Group
- An eight-week personal study with other caring women healing from post-abortion. These are individual or group sessions. Details: (408) 847-8880.
AARP Safe Driving Course
- A course for motorists 50 and older is taking place. Must call and register to get date and location. Participants will familiarize themselves with driver safety and new laws. No tests. Course, materials and instructor provided. There is a minimal DMV certificate fee. Details and to register: (408) 779-7117 between 1 and 7 p.m.
Free Guitar Lessons
- Free guitar lessons at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St., from noon to 1 p.m. Details: (408) 846-0414.
Line Dancing Lessons
- Line dancing lessons from 7 to 9 p.m. at the San Martin Lions Club, 12415 Murphy Ave.
- Group meets at 6:30 p.m. at South Valley Community Church, 8095 Kelton Dr., Gilroy. Details: (408) 848-2363.
Food Addict Meetings
- Food Addicts in Recovery is a 12-step program for those suffering from overeating, under-eating or bulimia. Meetings are at 7 p.m., Advent Lutheran Church, 16870 Murphy Ave. Details: 800-600-6028 or www.foodaddicts.org.
Monday & Thursday
- Bridge games begin at 1:20 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Thursdays at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St. Details: (408) 921-8512 or email email@example.com.
Mon., Wed., Fri. & Sat.
Join the Gilroy Gators Masters
- From 5 to 6 a.m. and most Saturdays from 7 to 8:30 a.m. at Gilroy High School. Masters swimming for adults looking to get in or stay in shape, or for triathletes looking for more swim time and/or instruction. Details: www.gilroygators.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ladies Golf Club
- The Gilroy Ladies Golf Club is looking for new members. Details: (408) 779-0886 or (408) 776-7509.
- Each class consists of a short introduction, a 20-minute meditation, and a brief discussion. It takes place from 6:30 to 7:15 p.m. E-mail artofyogamorganhill.com, or drop by 16165 Monterey Road, Suite 200. Suggested donation $5. No one turned away.
Tuesday & Thursday
- The St. Catherine Community Closet is open from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and the first Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon. Get free, gently-used clothing and household items, at 13570 Depot St., San Martin. Details: (408) 857-4516.
Student Recovery/Life Skills Class
- “Life Hurts God Heals” is an eight-step program for middle and high schoolers providing life skills. Free classes take place from 6:30 to 8 p.m., at Cathedral of Faith, 7250 Forest St. Details: Suzie at (408) 497-2494.
Alzheimer’s and Dementia’s Care Giver Support
- Find support, respite, and education 6:30 p.m. in the activities room at Merrill Gardens, 7600 Isabella Way. Details: Anne Seckinger at (408) 857-7811.
American Sewing Guild
- If you love to sew and work with fabric you will enjoy meeting with like-minded people. They are part of a group of sewing enthusiasts who challenge and teach each other sewing skills. They meet at 10 a.m. in the Jackson Oaks area of Morgan. Details: www.asgsanjose.org.
Naranon Family Meeting
- For family and friends affected by a loved one’s drug abuse, these meetings take place from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Gilroy First Baptist Church, 8455 Wren Ave.
- Learn leadership and life skills at the Pacheco Pass 4-H meetings from 7 to 8 p.m. Details: email email@example.com or call (408) 824-8201.
- Creative writing class, no experience required, meets at 2 p.m. for 13 weeks, Merrill Gardens, 7600 Isabella Way. Details: Amanda Chiado at (408) 621-5114.
Friday Night Bingo
- Doors open at 4 p.m. with early games starting at 6 p.m. at the VFW, 74 W. Sixth St.
- This group meets at 6 p.m. for food, 7 p.m. for large groups and 8 p.m. for small groups, at New Hope Community Church, 8886 Muraoka St. Details: (408) 398-5107.
Late Evening Gym
- Come to a safe space to play games and have fun from 6 to 9 p.m. at the El Portal gym, 222 I.O.O.F. Ave. Food is served. This program is for ages 13 to 19 though younger children are allowed if accompanied by a parent or sibling older than 18. A permission slip is needed if attending for the first time. Details: (408) 846-0460 or (408) 846-0313.
- The San Martin Horsemen’s Association meets at 7 p.m. at the San Martin Lion’s Club, 12415 Murphy Ave. Details: www.smhorse.org.
Ukulele Sunrise Jam
- Players meet at 8:30 a.m. for an hour of jamming at Café 152 Bread Company, 60 4th St. They play songs from their past three songbooks, which are available at www.GilroyUkuleleJam.com.
- Join the Gilroy Garlicky Group of poets for poetry fun from 3L30 to 5 p.m. at the Gilroy Public Library, 350 W. 6th St. Come join the fun. Very low key with all levels welcome from the south valley.
First & third Sundays
Grief Support Group
- Meets at 2 p.m. at the United Methodist Church, 17175 Monterey St., and provides a safe place to share grief. Details: (408) 607-5779 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Easy to Grow Winter Vegetables
- Many winter vegetables are fast growing and can still be planted for winter or spring harvest. This class – from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the Gilroy Library, 660 W. Sixth St. – will focus on crops that can be harvested in 60 days or less. Learn about growing techniques, pest control, soil preparation, and more. Make use of your space before tomatoes go in and enjoy fresh vegetables all year round. Presented by UCCE Master Gardener Joan Cloutier.
Oddities of Being in Space
- Things happen in space that are both a surprise and often very different from life on Earth. This 45-minute session starts at 1 p.m. at the Wings of History Air Museum, 12777 Murphy Ave., and will introduce you to these “space oddities.” Details: email@example.com.
Friends of the Library Book Sale
- Fill a grocery bag with great books for $8 or $5 for members beginning at 10 a.m. at the Gilroy Library, 660 W. Sixth St. Proceeds support free classes and events at the Gilroy Library. Details: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.friendsofgilroylibrary.org.
Pruning Deciduous Trees
- Learn the basics of pruning fruit trees from 10 a.m. to noon at the St. Louise Hospital Teaching and Demonstration Garden, 9400 No Name Uno Way. Not only will pruning techniques be demonstrated by master gardeners, but if you’d like to try pruning yourself, bring some pruning shears and gloves so they can guide you through the process. Presented by UCCE Master Gardeners South Santa Clara County. Gardening questions? They are at the garden from 9 a.m. to noon Mondays. You can also visit online at www.mgsantaclara.ucanr.edu or call (408) 282-3105 between 9:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Please send calendar items to email@example.com.
Latest posts by Calendar Editor (see all)
- Calendar: Published in the January 9 – 22, 2019 issue of Gilroy Life - January 5, 2019
- Gilroy Historical Society Monthly Walking Tours Schedule - December 23, 2018
- Community Calendar: Published in the December 26 – January 8, 2018 issue of Gilroy Life - December 21, 2018