Find out what’s happening in our community
Women’s Support Group
- Join an eight-week personal study session with other caring women healing from post-abortion. These are individual or group sessions depending on the needs of the participants involved. Details: (408) 847-8880.
AARP Safe Driving Course
- A refresher course for motorists 50 and older is currently taking place. You must call and register to get the dates and location. Participants will familiarize themselves with driver safety and new laws. No tests. Course, materials and instructor provided. There is a minimal DMV certificate fee. Details and to register: Please call (408) 779-7117 between 1 and 7 p.m.
- Group meets at 6:30 p.m. at South Valley Community Church, 8095 Kelton Dr., Gilroy. Details: (408) 848-2363.
Food Addict Meetings
- Food Addicts in Recovery, a 12-step program for those suffering from overeating, under-eating or bulimia, meet at 7 p.m., Advent Lutheran Church, 16870 Murphy Ave. Details: 800-600-6028 or www.foodaddicts.org.
Line Dancing Lessons
- Line dancing lessons from 7 to 9 p.m. at the San Martin Lions Club, 12415 Murphy Ave.
Parenting Support Group
- Join other moms to learn, share and journey through parenting at 10 a.m. Details: (408) 847-8880.
Monday & Thursday
- Enjoy games that begin at 1:20 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Thursdays at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St. Details: (408) 921-8512 or email email@example.com.
- Class consists of a short introduction, a 20-minute meditation, and a brief discussion. It takes place from 6:30 to 7:15 p.m. E-mail artofyogamorganhill.com, or visit 16165 Monterey Road, #200.
- Learn leadership and life skills at the Adam’s 4-H meetings. Held from 7 to 8 p.m. at the Gilroy Grange, 8191 Swanston Lane. Details: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Free Ukulele Jam Session
- Have fun with an enthusiastic group of ukulele players at the monthly Gilroy Ukulele Jam, 6 to 8 p.m., at Old City Hall Restaurant, 7400 Monterey Road. All playing levels are welcome; free beginner lessons from 5:15 to 5:45 p.m.
Tuesday & Thursday
- The St. Catherine Community Closet is open from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and the first Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon. Get free, gently-used clothing and household items, at 13570 Depot St., San Martin. Details: (408) 857-4516.
Student Recovery/Life Skills Class
- “God Heals” is an 8-step program for middle and high schoolers providing free life skill classes that take place from 6:30 to 8 p.m., at Cathedral of Faith, 7250 Forest St. Details: Suzie at (408) 497-2494.
Alzheimer, Dementia Care Support
- Find support, respite, and education 6:30 p.m. in the activities room at Merrill Gardens, 7600 Isabella Way. Details: Anne Seckinger at (408) 857-7811.
American Sewing Guild
- If you love to sew and work with fabric, you’ll enjoy meeting a group of enthusiasts who challenge and teach each other sewing skills. Meet at 10 a.m. in the Jackson Oaks area of Morgan Hill. Details: www.asgsanjose.org.
Wind Symphony Meets
- The Morgan Hill Wind Symphony meets for rehearsals from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. at the Morgan Hill Presbyterian Church, 16970 Dewitt Ave. No auditions are needed and there are openings in all sections. Anyone who plays a brass, woodwind or percussion instrument and has at least two years of experience is free to join. Details: email email@example.com or visit www.mhws.org.
2nd & 4th Wednesday
Indivisible South Valley
- Indivisible South Valley, a grassroots effort aligned with the national Indivisible Movement, works to protect democracy and core values, focusing on local communities. Meetings are from 7 to 8:30 p.m., at the clubhouse on Montoya Circle.
Alanon Family Meeting
- A meeting for family and friends of alcoholics takes place at 7 p.m. at Gilroy First Baptist Church, 8455 Wren Ave.
- Learn leadership and life skills at the Pacheco Pass 4-H meetings from 7 to 8 p.m. Details: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (408) 824-8201.
Creative Writing Class
- No experience needed for this 13-week class that meets at 2 p.m., at Merrill Gardens, 7600 Isabella Way Gilroy. Details: call (408) 621-5114.
Women in Touch
- Women in Touch II invites others to renew friendships and make new ones. Meetings, which include lunch and entertainment, take place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., at the Gilroy Elks Lodge. The cost is $23, reservations required. Call 408) 847-1964 or email email@example.com.
Friday Night Bingo
- Doors open at 4 p.m., early games start at 6 p.m. at the VFW, 74 W. Sixth St.
- Group meets at 6 p.m. for food, 7 p.m. for large groups and 8 p.m. for small groups, at New Hope Community Church, 8886 Muraoka St. Details: (408) 781-4498.
Late Evening Gym
- Come to a safe space and have fun from 6 to 9 p.m. at the El Portal gym, 222 I.O.O.F. Ave. Food is served. Program for ages 13 to 19 though younger children are allowed if accompanied by a parent or sibling older than 18. A permission slip is needed if attending for the first time. Details: (408) 846-0460 or (408) 846-0313.
Ukulele Sunrise Jam
- Players meet at 8:30 a.m. for an hour at Café 152 Bread Company, 60 4th St. They play songs from songbooks, which are available at www.GilroyUkuleleJam.com.
First & Third Sundays
Grief Support Group
- Group meets at 2 p.m. at the United Methodist Church, 17175 Monterey St. It provides a safe place to share grief. Details: (408) 607-5779 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tour Palassou Ridge
- The Palassou Ridge preserve north of Gilroy will open to the public for walking and mountain biking from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Registration is required. Parking is free for this special-access event. Details and to register: www.openspaceauthority.org.
- Join the Open Space Authority in partnership with the San Jose Astronomical Association for an evening under the stars from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m., at 4289 Casa Loma Road. No need to bring a telescope, the SJAA will provide them along with astronomy docents. Registration is required. Register by the number of cars your group will be driving at www.openspaceauthority.org.
Grammy-winning Singer Performs
- Acts Revival Center — Southgate Church presents Grammy Award-winning singer Deniece Williams at 10 a.m. at Acts Revival Center — Southgate Church in Morgan Hill. The R&B/Gospel legend will share her testimony and minister in song. Admission is free, seating is limited. Details: email@example.com.
- Gilroy Presbyterian Church’s 4th Annual Fall Festival takes place from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., 6000 Miller Ave. There will be something for the entire family, including a Trunk or Treat, Petting Zoo, Concessions and a Pumpkin Patch.
Exploring the Azores
- Al Pinheiro, from Caravelle Travel, will discuss the culture and atmosphere of the Azores, from 10 a.m. to noon at the Morgan Hill Community and Cultural Center, 17000 Monterey Road. Call (408) 846-0414 to reserve your spot. The fee is $10.
Dawn Bird Walk
- Join the Open Space Authority for a chance to witness the landscape come alive with birdsong as the sun rises from 6:15 to 8 a.m. at the Coyote Valle Open Space Preserve, 550 Palm Ave. There are many species to discover and one can meander a short way to get a view. Gates will be open at 6 a.m. Please bring binoculars, a flashlight or headlamp, layers for warmth, and water. Register at www.openspaceauthority.org.
Oct 25 & 26
‘Here Comes the Judge’
- Oakwood School drama presents “Here Comes the Judge,” at 7 p.m. Friday and at 1 and 7 p.m. Saturday at the school, 105 John Wilson Way.
Clean up a Pajaro River
- Join the Open Space Authority staff and volunteers and clean the Pajaro River Agricultural Preserve by removing garbage, clearing out weeds, and putting down weed cloth and mulch from 9:30 a.m to 3 p.m. Bring long sleeves, sun protection, close-toed shoes, and a two-liter water bottle or container. They will provide gloves, lunch, and water. Driving directions will be sent after registration. Register at www.openspaceauthority.org.
Send calendar items to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest posts by Calendar Editor (see all)
- Community Calendar - October 12, 2019
- Calendar of Events: October 2 – 15, 2019 issue of Gilroy Life - September 28, 2019
- Calendar of Events: Published in the September 18 – October 1, 2019 issue of Gilroy Life - September 14, 2019