Find out what’s happening in the South Valley with this issue’s calendar:
Women’s Support Group
- Join an eight-week personal study session with other caring women healing from post-abortion. These are individual or group sessions depending on the needs of the participants involved. Details: (408) 847-8880 or [email protected]
AARP Safe Driving Course
- A refresher course for motorists 50 and older is currently taking place. You must call and register to get the dates and location. Participants will familiarize themselves with driver safety and new laws. No tests. Course, materials and instructor provided. There is a minimal DMV certificate fee. Details and to register: Call (408) 779-7117 between 1 and 7 p.m.
- Group meets at 6:30 p.m. at South Valley Community Church, 8095 Kelton Dr., Gilroy. Details: (408) 848-2363.
Food Addict Meetings
- Food Addicts in Recovery, a 12-step program for those suffering from overeating, under-eating or bulimia, meet at 7 p.m., Advent Lutheran Church, 16870 Murphy Ave. Details: 800-600-6028 or www.foodaddicts.org.
Line Dancing Lessons
- Line dancing lessons from 7 to 9 p.m. at the San Martin Lions Club, 12415 Murphy Ave.
Parkinson’s Support Group
- Parkinson’s patients and their caregivers are invited to attend this support group from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., at Merrill Gardens, 7600 Isabella Way, Gilroy. Details: (408) 691-5982
Car Lovers Meet
- The Valle del Sur region of the Antique Automobile Club of America meets at 7:30 p.m. at the Villa Mira Monte on Monterey Road. Details: www.valledelsur-aaca.com.
Monday & Thursday
- Enjoy games that begin at noon Mondays and 10 a.m. Thursdays at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St. Details: (408) 921-8512 or email [email protected]
Mon., Wed., Fri., & Sat.
Join the Gilroy Gators Masters
- Swim from 5 to 6 a.m. and most Saturdays from 7 to 8:30 a.m. at Gilroy High School. Sessions are for adults looking to get in, or stay in shape, or for triathletes looking for more swim time and/or instruction. Details: Visit www.gilroygators.org or email [email protected]
- This fun class consists of a short introduction, a 20-minute meditation, and a brief discussion afterward. It takes place from 6:30 to 7:15 p.m., at 16165 Monterey Road, Suite #200. Details: Please e-mail artofyogamorganhill.com.
- Learn leadership and life skills at the Adam’s 4-H meetings. They are held from 7 to 8 p.m. at the Gilroy Grange, 8191 Swanston Lane. Details: [email protected]
Free Ukulele Jam Session
- Have fun with an enthusiastic group of players at the monthly Gilroy Ukulele Jam, 6 to 8 p.m., at Old City Hall Restaurant, 7400 Monterey Road. All playing levels are welcome to join; free beginner lessons available from 5:15 to 5:45 p.m.
Tuesday & Thursday
- The St. Catherine Community Closet is open from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and the first Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon. Get free, gently-used clothing and household items, at 13570 Depot St., San Martin. Details: (408) 857-4516.
Alzheimer, Dementia Care Support
- Find support, respite, and education 6:30 p.m. in the activities room at Merrill Gardens, 7600 Isabella Way. Details: Anne Seckinger at (408) 857-7811.
Student Recovery/Life Skills Class
- “God Heals” is an 8-step program for middle and high schoolers providing free life skill classes that take place from 6:30 to 8 p.m., at Cathedral of Faith, 7250 Forest St. Details: Suzie at (408) 497-2494.
American Sewing Guild
- If you love to sew and work with fabric, you’ll enjoy meeting a group of enthusiasts who challenge and teach each other sewing skills. Meet at 10 a.m. in the Jackson Oaks area of Morgan Hill. Details: www.asgsanjose.org.
Wind Symphony Meets
- The Morgan Hill Wind Symphony meets from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. at the Morgan Hill Presbyterian Church, 16970 Dewitt Ave. No auditions needed. Openings in all sections. Anyone who plays a brass, woodwind or percussion instrument and has at least two years’ experience is invited. Details: email [email protected] or visit www.mhws.org.
Alzheimer’s, Dementia Support
- Get support, respite and education at these monthly meetings in the Activities Room, at Merrill Gardens, 7600 Isabella Way. Details: (408) 857-7811.
SV Woodworkers Meet
- If you are a woodworker or enjoy working with wood you might join the South Valley Woodworkers. The group meets at 7 p.m. in Morgan Hill. Details: www.southvalleywoodworkers.org.
2nd & 4th Wednesday
Indivisible South Valley
- Indivisible South Valley, a grassroots effort aligned with the national Indivisible Movement, works to protect democracy and core values, focusing on local communities. Meetings are from 7 to 8:30 p.m., at the clubhouse on Montoya Circle.
Alanon Family Meeting
- A meeting for family and friends of alcoholics takes place at 7 p.m. at Gilroy First Baptist Church, 8455 Wren Ave.
- Learn leadership and life skills at the Pacheco Pass 4-H meetings from 7 to 8 p.m. Details: Email [email protected] or call (408) 824-8201.
Creative Writing Class
- No experience needed for this 13-week class that meets at 2 p.m., at Merrill Gardens, 7600 Isabella Way, Gilroy. Details: (408) 621-5114.
American Legion Meets
- The American Legion meets at 6 p.m., at the Veterans Memorial Building, 74 W. 6th St. Details: Ray at (408) 607-3280 or [email protected]
- Learn leadership and life skills at Pacheco Pass 4-H meetings at the Lion’s Club of San Martin, 12415 Murphy Ave., from 7 to 8 p.m. Details: email: [email protected]
Women in Touch
- Women in Touch II invites others to renew friendships and make new ones. Meetings include lunch and entertainment are held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., at the Gilroy Elks Lodge. The cost is $23 per person, reservations required. Call 408) 847-1964 or email [email protected]
Friday Night Bingo
- Doors open at 4 p.m. and early games start at 6 p.m. at the VFW, 74 W. Sixth St.
- Group meets at 6 p.m. for food, 7 p.m. for large groups and 8 p.m. for small groups, at New Hope Community Church, 8886 Muraoka St. Details: (408) 781-4498.
Late Evening Gym
- Come to a safe space and have fun from 6 to 9 p.m. at the El Portal gym, 222 I.O.O.F. Ave. Program for 13 to 19 though younger children allowed if accompanied by a parent or sibling older than 18. Permission slip needed if attending for the first time. Details: (408) 846-0460.
San Martin Horsemen Meet
- The San Martin Horsemen’s Association meets at 7 p.m. at the San Martin Lion’s Club, 12415 Murphy Ave. Details: www.smhorse.org.
Ukulele Sunrise Jam
- Players meet at 8:30 a.m. for an hour at Café 152 Bread Company, 60 4th St. They play songs from songbooks, which are available at www.GilroyUkuleleJam.com.
Running Group, Club Run
- The South Valley Running Club is hosting a group run at 8 a.m. Various distances. All levels welcome. Membership is not required. Details: www.svrchome.org.
Weekly Bike Rides
- Join others for a no-drop 15- 25-mile road ride around Morgan Hill. Starts at 7:30 a.m. at Bike Therapy, 17540 Depot St.
Gilroy Poetry Fun
- Join the Gilroy Garlicky Group of poets for poetry fun from 3:30 to 5 p.m. at the Gilroy Public Library, 350 W. 6th St. This is very low key with all levels welcome.
First & Third Sundays
Grief Support Group
- Group meets at 2 p.m. at the United Methodist Church, 17175 Monterey St. Details: (408) 607-5779 or email [email protected]
- Join others in discussing “The Best Cook in the World,” by Rick Bragg, at 10:15 a.m., at the Gilroy Library 350 W. Sixth St. Details: www.sccld.org/events.
Big Book Sale
- Support the Friends of the Library and get a great deal on books from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., at the Gilroy Library, 350 W. Sixth St. Regular book sales take place from 2 to 5 p.m., Mondays; from 1 to 5 p.m., Tuesdays; and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Fridays, all at the library.
Starting Seeds in Trays
- Learn about seeds; use of containers, hands-on sowing of seeds; and tips for best results. They’ll be working outside so bring gloves and dress comfortably. This session takes place from 10 to 11:30 a.m. at the St. Louise Teaching and Demonstration Garden, 9400 No Name Uno Way and will be canceled if raining.
- Sobrato Murphy Music Association is hosting a spirit night at Red Robin Restaurant from 5 to 8 p.m., located at 1045 Cochrane Road, Morgan Hill (Target Center). Please mention the fundraiser.
Growing Your Own Seedlings
- Grow the varieties you want by starting your own seeds. Methods will be covered, as well as soil, light, water, temperatures, plant nutrition, diseases and insects that can affect your seedling. Session takes place from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the Gilroy Library, 350 W. Sixth St.
- Learn how to get prepared for the next disaster, at 7 p.m., at the Gilroy Library, 350 W. Sixth St. Class is provided by the city of Gilroy and the American Red Cross.
Garden Author Speaks
- Author Toni Gattone will speak about her book, “The Lifelong Gardener,” and share her enthusiasm and passion about empowering gardeners of all ages and abilities with practical, helpful techniques. She will also offer tips, display adaptive tools and have her new book available for purchase. The event is sponsored by South Valley Fleurs Garden Club and takes place at 10:30 a.m. at the Morgan Hill Community Center. There is a $10 fee at the door.
The Life of Georgia O’Keefe
- The works and life of artist Georgia O’Keeffe will be presented by Nancy Fohner, a member of the Gilroy AAUW, at 11 a.m., at the Gilroy Library, 350 W. Sixth St. Coming of age in the late 1800s, she defied the social conventions of her time and led a successful life that has taken on mythic proportion.
Send calendar items to [email protected]